Have you ever randomly googled something like, “How to be happy?” Yeah, me too. A Wiki article was the first thing to pop up: 3 Ways to Be Happy
So this is what my life has come down to? I find myself at my desk at work googling how to be happy and how to fake that you’re happy. Is there something wrong with me? No. I am just in a rut, but then again, I find myself in this rut a lot. I am tired of this roller coaster that is literally taking me around in circles.
So, I hired a personal trainer. Three times a week I pay for him to whip my butt. MWF I go in at 6:30 a.m. and start with cardio. By 7 a.m. I am with my trainer doing “muscle training” for the next hour. Tuesday, Thursday & Friday you will find me at the gym twice a day for a grand total of 1.5 hours of cardio. Saturday is an hour solid & Sunday I rest.
This has been going on for 3 weeks now and I can tell a difference already. I wake up easier in the mornings and I tend to sleep more through the night now. 3 a.m. anxiety attacks were kicking my butt pretty hard.
So, as you can tell, I am on a quest to be happier. Let me give you some tips I have found to make an improvement in your quality of “happy.”
- Exercise. It’s better if you have something/someone keeping you accountable. It sure is hard to get started.
- Do not lay on your bed until it’s time to go to sleep. I was horrible about laying down and not getting back up. There’s an unending cycle leading straight to depression.
- Take that vitamin even though it tastes horrible. Suck it up buttercup.
- Make a list of what wakes you up at night. Force your self to get rid of what ever you are able to. One of mine was that I was behind on my student loans. I called and got it fixed.
- Water, yuck! Yeah I know, but try to increase your water, even if just by drinking one glass a day. Do whatever you can until you are able to do the 8oz glasses, 8 times a day (I’m not even there yet).
- Crazy as it sounds, make your bed in the morning before you leave your house. I watched this really cool video, check it out: Change the World by Making Your Bed
- Get in touch with God (saved best for last). I know that when you are down it is the hardest thing to feel connected to God. You feel blah, you just don’t feel it at all. I encourage you to make yourself stop, bow your head and just start a conversation with him. Do this 4 times a day to start. You will be surprised how quickly you start to feel better and reconnected with him. I love listening to Joyce Meyers on YouTube. I listen a lot while getting ready for work or while on the treadmill. Here is a good one to start with: Moving Beyond Worry and Anxiety
So, if life has you on a roller coaster, literally going around in a non-ending circle of not feeling “happy”, just try some of the tips above. What do you have to lose? Oh yeah, that sick feeling of depression. BTW, Wiki says you should stay “positive!” Good day you guys.